Our company’s history starts with Heinrich Reckeweg (1877-1944). After his education as a teacher he started teaching at an elementary school in Herford in 1903. The following years were characterized by teaching at the public school, by severe illness, the world war and by his premature pension. In 1912 he was that seriously ill the physicians declared him suitable for “garrison-fit” only when World War I started. In 1919 he suffered from a chronic kidney inflammation, in November 1924 the consequences of tuberculosis and a disorder in his throat lead to his premature pension. So it does not really come as a surprise that Heinrich Reckeweg suffering from such severe illness in the early Twenties and the failure of orthodox medicine becoming obvious attended to natural medicine more and more.
All along interested in botanical medicine and other natural healing practices and familiar with the teachings of Hahnemann and Prießnitz, Heinrich Reckeweg had become by teaching himself what today is called an alternative practitioner. During his days as a teacher he already felt committed to treat many of his pupils suffering from for example a cough of a cold. He even created a cough syrup for this purpose. He named his preparation against whooping cough “Jutussin Stickhustenhilfe” - and to this day “Jutussin R8”, distributed worldwide, enjoys highest appreciation. In addition to Hahnemann and Prießnitz he was particularly interested in Pastor Felke and his methods.
The acquaintance with Felke was the mental starting point of the Dr. Reckeweg & Co GmbH product series, the company was founded in 1947. Felke had discovered that - for diseases and medical conditions always taking the same course time and again - the choice fell on the same classical homeopathic remedies. He had made tests to mix those remedies individually for each patient thus reaching the conclusion that for certain disease patterns again and again the same combinations of homeopathic remedies showed good effects. This was the hour of founding of the homeopathic combination drugs, back then called complexes.
The EuPha Laboratory
In pursuit of his vision of a natural medicine Heinrich Reckeweg registered his doctor’s office with the public health institution and on a commercial basis in May 1926 after he had started in the early Twenties to develop, manufacture and sell homeopathic combination remedies in his EuPha Laboratory. His aspirations were to produce effective and well-tolerated remedies – a tradition Dr. Reckeweg & Co. GmbH, Bensheim stands for until today.
Heinrich Reckeweg’s remarkable curing successes brought high credit far beyond his home town. Although he never was bestowed with an official title, everybody respectfully called him “Doctor” Reckeweg. In 1944 Heinrich Reckeweg passed away which was the end of the EuPha Laboratory.
Re-establishing of the company after the war
Dr. med. Alfred Reckeweg
But knowledge and experience were not lost: Already in May 1947 two of his sons, Klaus Günther Reckeweg and the homeopathic physician Dr. med. Alfred Reckeweg, re-founded the company Dr. A. Reckeweg & Co. GmbH in Herford. Fully in line with their father’s tradition, they developed a series of sixty homeopathic complex remedies over the first years. Experience passed from father to sons combined with the expert medical homeopathic knowledge of Dr. Alfred Reckeweg and those paired with an alert interest in procedures in natural healing of both company founders were the basis for all drug formulations. The preparations of the specialty series were designed for providing an alternative based on homeopathic therapy for treatment of as many disorders occurring in every day’s practice as possible. They ranged from remedies against inflammation to remedies for treatment of cardiovascular disorders, diseases of the digestive tract to treatment of rheumatic spectrum disorders – just to name a few applications. Only eight years later, the growing success of Pharmazeutische Fabrik Dr. Reckeweg & Co. GmbH brought Klaus Günther Reckeweg to start looking for new premises which he found in Bensheim. This move to today’s location initiated a new era for Pharmazeutische Fabrik Dr. Reckeweg & Co. GmbH. In addition to more space, the technical department was completely modernized.
The Seventies and Eighties brought a new dawn in many areas. Once Michael Reckeweg entered the company in 1976 and the company moved into the new building with more than 2,000 sqm. in 1981 and thus having to hire more personnel, the turning point for a redirection of the family business to a pharmaceutical company was completed. From that time on the main interest was to open markets abroad. Dr. Reckeweg established business contacts to importers in European and non-European countries pushing international expansion. Today Dr. Reckeweg maintains intensive contacts to importers in over 40 countries in Europe and all over the world. The export share of more than 90% documents impressively the high acceptance and appreciation of Dr. Reckeweg’s homeopathic remedies. Along with regional and global expansion of business came an internal expansion of the portfolio. The line of specialties was expanded to 75 and later to 95 remedies, offering some of the specialties in different forms such as dilutions, injectables, globules, tablets, ointments and syrups. In addition to those specialties, the company produced and distributed mother tinctures, single remedies in high and highest potencies, salts of the biochemical healing method according to Dr. Schüßler and homeopathic preparations for veterinary medicine along with some food supplements which completed the product range in the Eighties and Nineties.
Marita and Michael Reckeweg
All this took place during the change of generations from the company’s founders to the current Managing Director Michael Reckeweg. At the same time the reorganization of responsibilities in accordance with legal requirements for a pharmaceutical company was established, one of them being the requirement to manufacture according to the international guidelines GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice).
Since 1999 the company is – as one of the co-founders - an active member of ECHAMP (abbrev. European Coalition on Homeopathic and Anthroposophic Medicinal Products). Remarkable as well is the membership in the ’Bundesverband der Pharmazeutischen Industrie (BPI, federal association of the pharmaceutical industry)’ as well as in the ’Bundesverband der Arzneimittelhersteller (BAH, federal association of drug manufacturers)’. In both, the company is engaged in active cooperation in various committees and panels representing the interests of homeopathy.
The latest generation
The company is currently in its fourth generation. It has been boosted by the addition of the two daughters Natalie and Annabel as well as son-in-law David Reckeweg-Lecompte. The company now has three representatives of the latest generation on board, all of whom are committed to solving the challenges of international competition with modern solutions while also preserving traditional production methods.
Annabel, Michael, Marita, Natalie and David Reckeweg